West Duluth's business district is centered between Grand Avenue, Central Avenue, and Bristol Street in Spirit Valley. This area is a mix of old, adjoining buildings (locally-owned stores at ground level, and if a second floor, apartments) -- and more recent construction.
The Valley Center Mall is a strip mall connected to a Kmart store. Various bars line Grand Ave and Central Ave in this area, including Mr. D's and the Rustic. Fast food available in the near area are Kentucky Fried Chicken and McDonald's. Subs can be found in the local Subway and Erbert & Gerberts. Groceries are found across Central Avenue at Super One.
West Duluth's Spirit Valley business district is easily accessible from Interstate Highway 35 at Central Avenue.
West Duluth students attend Stowe Elementary School, Laura MacArthur Elementary School, Lincoln Park Elementary/Middle School, Morgan Park (middle school), and Denfeld High School. The local Catholic school is St. James, grades K-8, affiliated with the parish of the same name.
An exception to this is the Bayview Heights neighborhood, where students attend Proctor's public schools.
Other Businesses in the West End
- The West Duluth Menards building (Mike Colillo Drive and West Superior Street)
- The West Duluth Clinic (42nd Avenue West and Grand Avenue)
- Advance Auto Parts shop (intersection of Grand Avenue and Central Avenue)
- Acme Electric Tool Crib business (44th Avenue West and Grand Avenue)
- Subway and Papa John's Pizza franchises (intersection of Grand Avenue and Elinor Street / 52nd Avenue West)
Spirit Valley Days
The Spirit Valley Days festival takes place every July in West Duluth with events that include:
- Craft show
- Classic car show
- Waterfront Trail Run/Walk
- Miss West Duluth Pageant
- Pancake breakfast
- Music at the Ramsey Square stage
- Spirit Valley Days Parade
- Kids Rides and Games