Congdon Park, the stretch of Tischer Creek from Superior Street to Vermilion Road that was donated to the city by Chester Congdon during the construction of Glensheen in 1908.
Prior to Congdon handing it over, he hired a crew to add wooden bridges and large stone steps to the 33.7 acre area. A majority of the steps are used to this day, while the bridges have been replaced.
Tischer Creek features a series of cascading waterfalls among the twists and turns of Tischer Creek.
Congdon Park is equipped with a wide trail and hiking trail.
There is no combination of stream and hillsides, woodland, waterfall and canyon in or near any other American city that is capable of development for beauty and utility comparing with that lying on both sides of Tischer Creek, wrote landscape engineer A.U. Morrell of New York City.
Congdon Park has billion year old volcanic rock called rhyolite, that is red in color. The greater area of Duluth is largely dark basalt rock. Rhyolite tends to break up naturally into small fragments, making it easy for the creek to erode out the gorge through which it flows. Upstream (from about Second Street upwards) the creek flows over the Endion Sill, which grades from red to black upstream. This sill formed as a thick layer of molten rock intruded underneath the rhyolite and solidified beneath the surface. It is more resistant to erosion and so produces some dramatic waterfalls
Cedar and willow trees stand out from the walls of the canyon. The Congdon Park are has stands of both red and white pine, with carpets of thick mosses and ferns. Bridges constructed in the early 1980s take visitors past a view of a hanging waterfall, and other trails follow both sides of the river. Parking is best on the upper side of the park located just off St. Marie Street and Lakeview Drive
Congdon Park Elementary School
Congdon Park Hockey
Congdon Park Trails
The Life of Chester Adgate Congdon